Thursday, December 08, 2005

YACB Miscellany

A few miscellaneous items:

ITEM: If, like me, you get your weekly comic fix from DCBS, you'll be disappointed to hear that their entire overnight shipment was lost this week. Diamond had to send them an emergency shipment though, and packages are starting to go out now.

ITEM: Tomorrow morning I'm giving a presentation at our Librarians' Forum annual show-and-tell: "Why I Love Comics". I'll be talking to a bunch of university librarians about my history of comics collecting, why I like comics, what kind of comics are out there, and then I'll booktalk a bunch of good comics. I can talk about comics for hours, but alas I only have 20-30 min., which is proving to be rather challenging...

ITEM: Of course, we're forecasted to get 5-8" of snow tonight, so I'm guessing that maybe 5 people will show up at 9am for my presentation.

ITEM: The Comics Webblog Update-a-Tron 6000 XP is back up and running today, so we can all get our hourly comic blog fix. A big thanks to the operators there for linking to my CBLDF Fund Drive, prominently up at the top.

ITEM: Also providing linkage are: Johanna, David, Dorian, Gordon, Graeme, TangognaT, and Scott. Thanks all! (Did I miss anyone--it wasn't intentional if I did!)

ITEM: Alas, response so far has been very underwhelming. So far, zero people have come forward with their support. Come on people--there are no ads on this blog, I give away free comics in May and free graphic novels in August--This is all I ask of you! Once a year, give a tax-deductable donation to a worthwhile comic-related cause, and I'll match your giving. 'Tis the season for giving, you know! I should point out that, unlike last year, you don't have to be a first-time member to count towards the goal. Current CBLDF members can renew and/or give an extra $25 donation, and that counts too.

2 comments:

Cary said...

sorry i just found your blog, but i noticed you mentioned the CBLDF. i also support the ACTOR folks. they are not only working for a good cause but they put a lot of time and effort into their charity. they don't just sit there and expect people to notice them around the holidays which i think is vital to this type of giving.

Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

they don't just sit there and expect people to notice them around the holidays...

WTF? My cause is better than your cause? ACTOR's a great organization but this is certainly no way to promote their mission. CBLDF does important work, too, and doesn't "just sit there and expect people to notice them."