Thursday, January 05, 2006

Miyazaki!

TotoroThose of you who get Turner Classic Movies on your cable or satellite may want to fire up the ol' TiVo starting tonight, as all this month TCM is featuring Miyazaki movies every Thursday (and no commercials!).

Here's the schedule (via AICN):

Jan. 5
Spirited Away (2001) 8 p.m.
Princess Mononoke (1997) 10:15 p.m.

Jan. 12
Nausicaa of the Valley (1984) 8 p.m.
Castle in the Sky (1986) 10 p.m.

Jan. 19
My Neighbor Totoro (1988) 8 p.m.
Porco Rosso (1992) 9:30 p.m.
Whisper of the Heart (1995) 11:15 p.m

Jan. 26
Only Yesterday (1991) 8 p.m.
Pom Poko (1994) 10:15 p.m.

(times I assume are EST--I don't know if TCM has a separate west coast feed)

If I'm interpreting my TiVo programming guide correctly, they are showing the dubbed versions at the times listed above, and then in the wee hours of the morning are showing the subtitled versions with the original dialogue.

AFAIK, the last three listed have never had a domestic DVD release, making for an extra special treat!

More info on all these classics on the TCM Website.

Edit: Actually those last three I believe aren't Miyazaki films, though they are from Studio Ghibli.

2 comments:

Scott Cederlund said...

According to Nausicca.net, Whisper of the Heart is getting its North American release in March along with Howl's Moving Castle and a rerelease of My Neighbor Totoro.

Anonymous said...

He is soo cute. I wish my granddaughter were still young enough for this.