Friday, July 13, 2007

YAFQ: This Year's "Wow" Comic?

It's the return (for one week at least) of Yet Another Friday Question! This week's question is:

Has there been a "WOW" comic yet in 2007?

We're already more that halfway through the year. Has a comic come out that's really made you stand up and take notice? That you can't stop telling people about?

For me, not really. Don't get me wrong, there have been some very good comics: Jeff Lemire's Tales from the Farm; a new volume of Yotsuba&!; a couple of issues of All-Star Superman; Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #12.

But nothing that's really Wowed me. Nothing on the order of Fun Home or We3 or Ganges yet.

Of course there's still 5 and a half months left in the year. And with all the comics coming out these days, I'm sure to have missed something really good.

So tell me: Has a comic come out this year that's Wowed you?

6 comments:

Stephen said...

Bryan Talbot's Alice in Sunderland. I'll have a long review of it up at Broken Frontier next week (FSM willing), but in the meantime: wow.

Steve Flanagan said...

Likewise, Alice in Sunderland.

Runners up so far ("ooooh"s, if not "wow"s): The Salon, The Professor's Daughter, if that counts - the translation is new, anyway, Dr 13 and "You're A Good Man, John Stewart Mill" in Action Philosophers.

Rex Libris looks like an "ooooh" too, but I haven't read it all yet.

Steve Flanagan said...

Can we please pretend that I spelled "John Stuart Mill" right the first time? Thanks. (Hangs head in shame.)

Jizzrelics said...

hey man you have a great blog ;)

please check mine at http://deeplymutants.blogspot.com/

Bill D. said...

When I read The Professor's Daughter after getting it at the New York Comic Con in February, I said I doubted that I'd read a better comic this year, and so far, that statement has held fast.

Dave Carter said...

Looks like I'm going to have to check out Alice in Sunderland; our library copy is currently at labeling, so it should arrive soon (maybe this week...)

The Professor's Daughter is on my 'to be read' stack, so maybe I'll get to that soon too.