Friday, April 04, 2008

Variant Covers


I don't normally mind the fact that there are variant covers on comics; as long as I get one issue to read, that's fine. I order most of my comics from DCBS, and sometimes they'll throw in a variant cover edition—which is usually good except when it's a photo cover; I'd rather have a nice piece of comic art than a re-used stock photograph.

Recently I loaned some of my Buffy season 8 & Angel season 6 comics to some friends who are only occasional comic readers but are fans of the shows. They had previously borrowed some of the Buffy comics from another friend. In looking through mine to see which issues they needed they got a bit confused due to the fact that some of mine had different covers from the ones they had seen. I explained about the multiple covers which they then grokked easily enough but thought was kind of strange.

I wonder what sort of general effect multiple covers have for those not used to the hobby aspect of comics? Do Buffy fans coming into comic stores looking for the latest issue try to buy a variant cover of a comic they already have?

1 comment:

Sez said...

It is a bit frustrating with variant covers, just yesterday my friend and I were in Brighton in the back catalogue section of Dave's comics and funny enough flicking through the old Buffy Comics and it is confusing because unless you know for sure that you have that number comic and the cover you have is not there, your like 'oh different cover I haven't got that one then get home and realise it is the same just differet cover'