Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Year of Comics Reading

Well, 11 months actually. Here's a chart showing how many comics I got each week, and how many I read each day, from February to December of 2009:



(Click to make it legible size...)

I've mentioned before on this blog the fact that I have a fairly sizable comic book backlog; I estimate that it's somewhere around 1000 unread comics. This chart was part of my plan to try to reduce the size of the backlog.

Studies show that people who track calories by writing them down and monitor their weight weekly do a better job at losing weight and keeping it off. So early last year I decided to do the equivalent to see if I could slim down my comics backlog.

It seems to have been successful; by the end of the year the backlog was down 102 comics from where it was at the start of the year.

I averaged reading 31 comics each week. The biggest day for reading comics was Saturday; the lightest were Tuesday & Wednesday.

I began my 'week' on Thursday, since that's the day my DCBS shipment usually arrives. Any other comics acquired during the week also got added in.

I counted each item acquired and each item read as one comic, whether it was a 24-page pamphlet or a 720-page tome (I'm looking at you, Dash Shaw's Bottomless Belly Button!)

No comments: