Monday, January 24, 2005

Big Fat Royalty Check

I received a royalty check from my publisher today--the first in two years, in fact. Now while most people would be pleased to get a royalty check, I find it to be a bit annoying. Why? The check is for only $11.

You see, the check is for a book I co-wrote back in 1999. While the book sold well for the first couple of years, sales have now dropped off to a trickle. Since I split the royalties with my five other co-authors, there really isn't that much to go around at this point.

Still, I suppose that the publisher has to pay out even small amounts, so as to make the books balance and all. I don't really blame them (they're good people, and I wouldn't hesitate to work with them again).

The annoying part is that for my 2005 taxes, this $11 means that I have to file a whole extra form to declare my whopping eleven dollars in book royalties. (I get a reprieve this time, since they didn't send me a royalty in 2004.)

Of course, I've heard of other writers and artists getting royalty checks for just pennies, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much, right?

No comments: