Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Best of 2006 (That I Haven't Read Yet...)

With the old year behind us and the new one just begun, it's time to look back at 2006 and pick the year's best.

But...

I find that this past year there were many heralded GNs that I didn't get around to reading. Such as:

Fun Home. I'm actually two chapters into this, having started it over the weekend. I really like it so far, but it is an exhausting read (in a good way).

Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness. Also started this over the past weekend; halfway through.

Curses. Forgot to order from DCBS; but I got Amazon gift script for Christmas so it's been ordered!

Chicken with Plums. Checked out from the library to read over break but didn't get to it.

Lost Girls. Have it, but haven't been in the right mood yet to read it.

Ode to Kirohito. On order for the library.

Cancer Vixen. Reviews have been mixed; I suspect perhaps I am the wrong age/gender/whatever to appreciate it.

The Drifting Classroom. Escaped my notice when it first came out, but a lot of people are raving about it. Is it true?

American Born Chinese. Library copy is at the bindery.

Abandon the Old in Tokyo. Just haven't got around to it yet.

Finder: Five Crazy Women. Gah! I'm behind on my Finder reading.

Ghost of Hoppers. Ditto for Love & Rockets.

Making Comics. Own it; I've read maybe a quarter of it so far.

Cartoon History of the Modern World. Just got it this past week.


Anything in there that I should defintely read before too long?

4 comments:

Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

I don't think you've mentioned reading Stagger Lee yet, and if you haven't, I highly recommend you do! And for the all-ages set, be sure to check out A Bit Haywire.

Fun Home and Chicken with Plums are both on my Best...Haven't Read Yet list, too.

Anonymous said...

I definitely recommend "Cancer Vixen" -- and I'm the "wrong" age and gender as well. This is not your typical Lifetime movie of the week or anything. She's not always brave or noble, but the book is funny, gripping and inspirational.

Stephen said...

"Chinese Born American"

Okay, I'm probably being dense, but was that a joke or a typo?

Dave Carter said...

"Chinese Born American" = typo/brainfreeze.

I'll fix it...