Sunday, December 04, 2011

DCnU Capsule Reviews, Week 12

Continuing my capsule reviews of each week's DCnU books, now in their third month:


All Star Western #3: Moritat's art continues to be quite suitable for this story; I especially liked the double-page splash at the end. Didn't care much for the back-up though. Rating: 3 (of 5)

Aquaman #3: I could have done without the graphic violence on the cover, but I guess that's how we're supposed to know that this is a 'serious' Aquaman. (I actually prefer the version from the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon myself.) Still, the story continues to interest, even if it is moving a bit too slow. Rating: 3 (of 5).

Batman: The Dark Knight #3: The iaculis ex machina bit with The Flash is just sloppy writing, though he is written out with a bit of cleverness at the end. Rating: 2 (of 5).

Blackhawks #3: This is the first issue that felt like it might be something interesting (i.e. it had something resembling characters and a plot), but the first two issues already burned away any potential good will. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

The Flash #3: Another really good issue for 19 pages, but I'm knocking off half a point for the shot-in-the-head cliche that affects too many DC comics these days. Rating: 3 (of 5).

The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men #3: Another comic that needs to get away from the long fight scenes and start moving the plot along faster. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

Green Lantern: New Guardians #3: I barely remember anything that happened in this comic. Rating: 2 (of 5).

I, Vampire #3: The story begins to move forward; even as we get more backstory dumped, at least things are happening at the same time. I continue to appreciate Sorrentino's art. Rating: 3 (of 5).

Justice League Dark #3: The plot keeps getting sidetracked. I know that Milligan really likes Shade, but the character always confuses me. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

Legion: Secret Origin #2: Continues to be somewhat interesting and nicely drawn, and really unnecessary as well. Still, I'll never complain too much about extra Legion. Rating: 3 (of 5).

The Savage Hawkman #3: The story continues to be muddled, and Tan's art does it no favors. Rating: 2 (of 5).

The Shade #2: Reading Robinson's latest chapter of his grand Opal City saga is like catching up with an old friend. Rating: 3.5 (of 5).

Superman #3: Always nice to see art from Nicola Scott, though I don't think she works as well with PĂ©rez's layouts as she would on her own. Also, I someday really want to read the first encounter of this Superman with Titano. Rating: 3 (of 5).

Teen Titans #3: Continues to be not a annoying as I expect. Except for the dialog captions; those are annoying. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

Voodoo #3: We get a bit of explanation, and a too-long battle with Green Lantern Kyle Raynor. But some props to Basri for some nice monster designs. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).


Ratings compared to the second issues: 3 improved; 5 stayed the same; 7 were worse. 

That wraps-up month three. I haven't yet decided yet if I will continue this in December... 

No comments: