Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DCnU Capsule Reviews, Week 14

This will be my final month reviewing all of the DCnU titles, and here are last week's books:


Batgirl #4: Batgirl faces off against Mirror at Christmas. I really don't see the necessity for all of the blood during the fight scenes. I like the relationship that is developing between Barbara and her new roommate (which means we probably shouldn't get too attached to her...) Rating: 3 (of 5).

Batman and Robin #4: Gleason continues to get more daring with his storytelling choices, which is helping to keep my interest in this title. Rating: 3 (of 5).

Batwoman #4: Continues to operate on a completely different level from the rest of the DCnU. To echo Mr. Bones in the last panel, there's no way I'm missing what comes next. (And bonus kudos for presenting the story uninterrupted by ads!) Rating: 4.5 (of 5).

Deathstroke #4: For as much as I've derided this book so far, I kind of wanted a longer scene of Slade in the prison. This wasn't quite the nadir of the past couple of issues, but I still won't miss it. Rating: 2 (of 5).

Demon Knights #4: I suppose I should be a bit miffed that they took time out of the already slow-moving opening tale to give us a story that is mostly Shining Knight backstory, but it was quite well done and a perfect example of how to make effective use out of the need for a fill-in artist. Rating: 3 (of 5).

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #4: Pretty much more of the same good stuff that we've been getting thus far from Lemire and Ponticelli. Rating: 3.5 (of 5).

Green Lantern #4: Hal Jordan & Sinestro continue their bromance as prisoners on Korugar, as a thousand fan-fics are born. Rating: 3 (of 5).

Grifter #4: I can't believe I didn't make the Daemonites / Demon Knights connection until it was mentioned here. But I'm obtuse that way sometimes, just as the showdown between Cole & Green Lantern is here. Rating: 2 (of 5).

Legion Lost #4: The Story continues to be okay, and is wrapped around some pretty art from Pete Woods. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

Mister Terrific #4: This is exactly the kind of crazy-ass sci-fi stuff I want from a Mister Terrific comic. After a slow start in the first couple of issues, this comic is finally finding its groove. Rating: 3 (of 5).

The Ray #1: I was really liking this, until the last page. Minus half a point for yet another person in a DC comic suffering from a graphic fatal head injury. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

Resurrection Man #4: Issues with pacing plague this title, such as the seven-page firefight with the Body Doubles that opens this issue with nary a Resurrection Man in sight. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

The Shade #3: For everyone who was wondering when the James Robinson who wrote Starman would show up again, here you are. Plus another great showing from Cully Hamner. Rating: 3.5 (of 5).

Suicide Squad #4: Continues to improve slightly, but for me at this point it is too little too late. Someone let me know if it ever gets better. Rating: 2.5 (of 5).

Superboy #4: Another story set at Christmas. I didn't care much for the villains, but the art was nice to look at and had a certain amount of energy during the fight scenes even if at other times it was a bit stiff. I'm looking forward to the story progressing. Rating: 3 (of 5).


Ratings compared to the third issues: 2 improved; 12 stayed the same; none were worse; 1 was new.

No comments: