1 (-). Hard Luck (Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book 8) *
2 (-). Hard Luck (Diary of a Wimpy Kid 8) (Kindle) *
3 (R). Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
4 (R). The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (paperback)
5 (-1). Dork Diaries 6 (Kindle)
6 (N). Injustice: Gods Among Us #33 (Kindle)
7 (-). March Book One
8 (-3). Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History
9 (+1). The Complete Persepolis
10 (-4). Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
11 (-2). Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
12 (-1). Hyperbole and a Half *
13 (+3). American Born Chinese
14 (-6). Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began
15 (-3). Dork Diaries 6: Tales from a Not-So-Happy Heartbreaker
16 (-13). Injustice: Gods Among Us #32 (Kindle)
17 (-4). Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
18 (-3). Watchmen
19 (-2). Vader's Little Princess
20 (-6). The Walking Dead, Book 9 *
21 (-3). Saga Volume 2
22 (*). Star Wars: Jedi Academy
23 (-3). The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book 7)
24 (-2). Darth Vader and Son
25 (-4). Batman: The Killing Joke, Deluxe Edition
26 (+5). The Complete Maus
27 (+3). The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After
28 (+20). Abina and the Important Men
29 (R). The Walking Dead, Vol. 19 *
30 (-2). V for Vendetta
31 (-6). Saga Volume 1
32 (-5). Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 2
33 (-10). The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1
34 (-). Cabin Fever (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 6)
35 (-3). Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 3 *
36 (R). The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (hardcover)
37 (N). March Book One (Kindle)
38 (R). Big Nate: I Smell a Pop Quiz! (Kindle)
39 (R). Dork Diaries 1 (Kindle)
40 (+5). The Arrival
41 (N). Justice League (2011- ) #1 (Kindle)
42 (-13). The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 2
43 (-6). Batman: Year One
44 (+5). Hawkeye: Little Hits, Vol. 2
45 (-2). Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1
46 (-10). How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
47 (R). Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to the Comic Book Universe
48 (R). The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 3)
49 (R). Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 2)
50 (R). Health Care Reform: What It Is, Why It's Necessary, How It Works
Items with asterisks (*) are pre-order items.
N = New listing appearing on list for first time
R = Item returning to the list after having been off for 1 or more weeks
- For the fourth week in a row the upcoming Wimpy Kid book is on the top of the comics chart. It is currently #50 on the overall Amazon book chart. It once again is joined in the #2 slot by the Kindle edition.
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, the first volume in the series, was mysteriously absent from the chart last week (though The Complete Persepolis did appear), but returns this week in the #3 slot, as would be expected this time of year when college students are buying their books. One could speculate (and I will) that for a period of time past week Amazon had sold out of the first Persepolis but has since restocked.
- I don't know why The Complete Calvin and Hobbes returns at such a high position. Yes the price (about $53) is pretty good, but it's been at that level for a few weeks now. And that doesn't explain the re-appearance of the hardcover edition on the chart either. All I can figure is that it must have been all of the attention that Gavin Aung Than's recent Zen Pencil strip illustrating Watterson's speech to college graduates received in various media outlets.
- All of the new titles on the chart this week are Kindle editions: The customary new Injustice digital comic, the first issue of the New 52 Justice League (on sale this week for 99¢), and John Lewis & Nate Powell's March Book One.
- I had previously excluding Jeffrey Brown's Star Wars: Jedi Academy from the chart as I was under the impression that it was a prose novel for young readers. It turns out that it is a hybrid prose/comic in the same vein as the Wimpy Kid series and thus likely should be on the chart under the criteria that I use. So this week it makes its first appearance on my weekly snapshot, though it should have appeared several times in the past as well.
- Diary Watch: The Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries franchises between them take up nine of the slots on the chart this week, down four last week.
- Kindle Watch: Only eight of the chart positions this week are taken up by Kindle editions, down six from last week and the lowest level that we've seen in quite some time.