1 (N). Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile (Kindle)
2 (N). Injustice: Gods Among Us #34 (Kindle)
3 (-). Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
4 (N). I Am Pusheen the Cat *
5 (+3). Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History
6 (+4). Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
7 (-). March Book One
8 (+1). The Complete Persepolis
9 (+3). Hyperbole and a Half *
10 (+11). Saga Volume 2
11 (-). Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
12 (-6). Injustice: Gods Among Us #33 (Kindle)
13 (+18). Saga Volume 1
14 (+6). The Walking Dead, Book 9 *
15 (+18). The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1
16 (N). Once Upon a Time: Shadow of the Queen
17 (+2). Vader's Little Princess
18 (-1). Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
19 (+16). Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 3 *
20 (-6). Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began
21 (-3). Watchmen
22 (-9). American Born Chinese
23 (+1). Darth Vader and Son
24 (-2). Star Wars: Jedi Academy
25 (N). Mission in a Bottle: The Honest Guide to Doing Business Differently—and Succeeding
26 (+3). The Walking Dead, Vol. 19 *
27 (+5). Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 2
28 (-24). The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (paperback)
29 (+1). V for Vendetta
30 (-5). Batman: The Killing Joke, Deluxe Edition
31 (-4). The Walking Dead, Vol. 18: What Comes After
32 (N). William Shatner Presents: The Tekwar Chronicles #0 (Kindle)
33 (N). Forever Evil (2013- ) #1 (Kindle)
34 (+12). How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
35 (+3). Big Nate: I Smell a Pop Quiz! (Kindle)
36 (+6). The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 2
37 (N). Sailor Moon Short Stories 1 *
38 (N). Blue Is the Warmest Color
39 (+4). Batman: Year One
40 (-14). The Complete Maus
41 (-25). Injustice: Gods Among Us #32 (Kindle)
42 (R). Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls (The New 52)
43 (R). Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 1
44 (N). Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family (The New 52) *
45 (N). Chew Volume 7: Bad Apples
46 (R). Batman: The Long Halloween
47 (N). RASL *
48 (-12). The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (hardcover)
49 (R). Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52)
50 (R). The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
Items with asterisks (*) are pre-order items.
N = New listing appearing on list for first time
R = Item returning to the list after having been off for 1 or more weeks
- Diary Watch: The astute among you who have been following these Amazon comics and graphic novels sales charts may realize in looking through the list this week that there are no Wimpy Kid or Dork Diaries titles. This is because Amazon appears to have removed them completely from their Comics and Graphic Novels category. All of them. They're gone. Why? It may be that someone (or many someones) petitioned Amazon to have them re-categorized. Or perhaps someone at Amazon did it completely on their own. Perhaps there were meetings, or maybe it was the arbitrary action of a lone Amazon employee. Mysterious are the ways of Amazon categorization. But the end result is the same: if they're not on the Amazon bestseller chart, then they aren't in my weekly chart shapshot. This of course will make comparisons from last week to this week difficult, and will really mess with my year-end compilation.
- The elimination of the WK & DD titles opens up a lot of room for new and returning titles to the top 50 chart this week. Leading the pack at the #1 position is the Kindle edition of Fables vol. 1: Legends in Exile, which is still enjoying the afterglow of being a Kindle Daily Deal earlier in the week at a reduced price ($1.99). Right behind it is the latest digital issue of Injustice: Gods Among Us.
- Debuting in the #4 slot is Claire Belton's I Am Pusheen the Cat, based on her Webcomic-like-thing. That makes three of the top four items on the chart debut items this week.
- A bit further down the chart, the television tie-in OGN Once Upon a Time: Shadow of the Queen marks Marvel's only appearance on this week's chart. Mission in a Bottle, the story of the founding of Honest Tea company in comics form, debuts at the midway point.
- Two Kindle editions of print comics show up next to each other: issue #0 of William Shatner's Tekwar, and the first issue of DC's Forever Evil event mini-series. The Tekwar comic might be benefiting from the fact that the first Tekwar novel was one of yesterday's Kindle Daily Deals. Forever Evil's appearance I believe is the first time that a regularly-priced new comic issue was landed on the chart.
- Rounding out the debuts this week are Sailor Moon Short Stories, Blue Is the Warmest Color, the third New 52 Batman compilation, the latest Chew compilation, and Jeff Smith's RASL.
- The University effect is still in high gear as college students continue to return to classes for the fall semester and buy their required texts on Amazon. Persepolis, Maus, Fun Home and Understanding Comics lead the way.
- Kindle Watch: Only seven of the chart positions this week are taken up by Kindle editions, down one from last week. The loss of WK & DD Kindle editions was mostly made up for by the rising of other Kindle comics up onto the chart.