Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Ellis's Apparat

Artbomb has cover images and Ellis-hype for Apparat, Warren Ellis's set of four one-shots coming from Avatar. (Thanks to Rampage for the link.) Ellis of course has been doing trashy horror-suspense titles with Avatar for some time, so it'll be interesting to see how his more substantive works fly there.

I'll probably end up getting all four books (depending on cost...), but the one that excites me the most is Frank Ironwine, mainly becuase I love Carla Speed McNeil's work and it'll be good for her to get more exposure. Quit City also intrigues, due to the strength of the concept (pulp aviators!) and the very interesting art style of the cover; I'm unfamiliar with Laurenn McCubbin but based on that single cover image I'm keen to see more.

3 comments:

Jon Silpayamanant said...

I was thinking about getting them too, but I was so put off by Transmetropolitan this has kept me from getting much else of Ellis' work. Well, that and I stopped collecting for a while, so...

Dave Carter said...

Oh hey, SF Chronicle has a profile of Laurenn McCubbin. She did XXXLiveNudeGirls which is why her art seemed a bit familiar (I picked up an issue in the quarter bin a couple of months back).

Jon Silpayamanant said...

ah--I knew I had heard the name before. I saw Michelle Tea perform with Sister Spit in Buffalo (in '98 I believe) and had recently read about their collaboration. Damn...I can't believe it was that long ago...