Sunday, August 22, 2004

My Review Ratings System

It occurs to me that I haven't yet explained my ratings system for my reviews. So I'll now attempt to remedy that:

Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5, on something of a bell curve, so that 1's and 5's are rare and 3's are most common. As for what they mean:


  1. Poor. Bad. Incompetence in writing, art, or both. Not of interest to anyone other than the creators' relatives.

  2. Okay. If you're a big fan of the genre and/or the creators you may find this of interest. Otherwise you should pass.

  3. Good. Solid entertainment. If you're a fan of the genre and/or creators involved you will probably like this.

  4. Great. Must reading for fans of the genre and/or creators, and probably worthwhile for others as well.

  5. Excellent. The crème de la crème of comics art. Should be read by anyone with an interest in comics, and probably by those who think they have no interest as well.


So there you go. As can be seen, the ratings are somewhat relative. A good solid super-hero book will get a 3, but if you're not interested in super-heroes you should probably give it a pass. If a volume of manga gets a 4, you may want to consider picking it up, even if you're not normally into manga. And so it goes.

5 comments:

Jon Silpayamanant said...

Makes sense and very simple and concise!

Dave Carter said...

It's pretty much the same system I was using when I was a member of All of the Above, where I cut my writing teeth.

Jon Silpayamanant said...

ah, I see. There's is something to be said for brevity and simplicity...how long did you write there?

Dave Carter said...

I wrote pretty consistently from 1992 - 1997. Technically I suppose I'm still a member, though it has been 'on hiatus' for a long time now. Much of my writing can be found here, though it's old and rough.

Jon Silpayamanant said...

ah, cool. Will check those out-though I've been out of the gaming loop for some time...