Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Fantasy and Science Fiction/Theory Reading Group

Last night was the book selection meeting for the Fantasy and Science Fiction/Theory Reading Group to which I belong. Once a year we meet to decide what the books will be for the coming year; basically everyone brings a few recommendations, makes pitches, and then we vote.

It's become a tradition to use one selection for a graphic novel; two years ago we did The Dark Knight Returns, and last year we did Seaguy & We3. This year at my suggestion the group has opted for Charles Burns's Black Hole, which I think will make for a very interesting discussion.

The other (non-graphic) novel readings for the year are:

Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go
Kim Stanley Robinson, The Years of Rice and Salt
Toni Morrison, Beloved
Italo Calvino, If on a winter's night a traveler
Maureen F. McHugh, China Mountain Zhang
Philip K. Dick, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said (also my suggestion)
Russell Hoban, Riddley Walker
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kelly Link, Magic for Beginners
Clive Barker, Weaveworld

Looks like an interesting mix of books.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Black Hole was a phenomenal read. I was very impressed.

I'm looking to read Never Let Me Go sometime soon here myself. Remains of the Day was very good so I'm anxious to see how the former holds up to the latter.

Dave Carter said...

Never Let Me Go is our book for November, so I've got to get into it soon (I'm a slow reader...)