Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Marvel's Continuing Faith in Powers' Shipping

I used to be annoyed at how the shipping dates of issues of Bendis & Oeming's Powers (published via Marvel's imprint for creator-owned titles, Icon) were constantly being pushed back. Now I just find it amusing.

In today's Diamond Shipping Updates, Powers #8 was pushed back to November 23, 2011. It was originally solicited for August 25, 2010, making it more than a year overdue.

Powers #6 shipped on September 29, 2010; Powers #7 shipped on March 2, 2011.

Despite this obviously erratic schedule, according to today's shipping updates Marvel have scheduled Powers #9 for November 30, 2011; Powers #10 for December 14, 2011; and Powers #11 for December 21, 2011.

Now I suppose it is possible that Bendis and Oeming have been stockpiling completed issues of Powers and we will see four issues come out in the span of five weeks. But given the title's past shipping performance, I see very little chance of that actually being the case.

Mind you, I have no problem with Bendis and Oeming taking all the time they want to produce their creator-owned comic; I'm sure their mainstream gigs pay much better. But I find it very funny that Marvel continue to solicit and adjust dates for Powers as if it were actually a monthly comic book.

No comments: