Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Vote!

Okay, it's election day, so go vote!

After you finish with your civic duty, come back here and vote again, this time for: Which Oni GN Should Dave Read Next?

I've got a small stack of trade collections/OGNs from Oni that need reading, but where to start? You, my readers, get to make the choice for me. Which of the following should I read next:

Hopeless Savages, vol. 2: Ground Zero
Jason and the Argobots, vol. 1: Birthquake
Scandalous
Love Fights, vol. 1
Three Days in Europe
Midnight Mover

Use the comments on this entry to vote for which of the above I should read next. The winning trade will get read over the coming weekend.

Thanks for your support!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off... I'm biased.
I work for Oni, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you have already read Hopless Savages, Vol. 1, I'd recommend Vol 2. It is a sweet rock'n'roll teen romance. This is one of my favorite Oni books. This was our first book with Brian Lee O'Malley (Lost at sea, Scott Pilgrim) as the principle artist. It also has Christine Norrie, Chynna Clugston-Major, and Andi Watson drawing the flashback sequences. I really love this book.

Scandalous is great. Very dark. Looks sweet but very bitter. I love Scott Chantlers art and gray tones. I'm a bit of a history buff and film nerd, so this was a real treat for me.

As for Love Fights... I think Andi's design work and page layouts are amazing. It is a fun story, but pay close attention to how he composes a page. It is incredible. I genuinely think he is one of the most talented people in the industry.

Jason & the Argobots is fun. So is Three Days in Europe. You could describe them as "light and breazy".

Midnight Mover is pretty good, but would probably be at the bottom of my list.

Randal C. Jarrell
http://www.onipress.com

Dorian said...

I'll vote for Scandalous as well. Of those books, it's probably my favorite, with Hopeless Savages a close second.

Dave Carter said...

Thanks Johanna, Randal & Dorian.

With just 3 precincts reporting, it looks like Hopeless Savages & Scandalous are in the early lead. But the race is... still too close to call.

There's still time to cast your vote; the polls won't officially close until Friday.

(BTW, I have previously read the first volume of Hopeless Savages and found it enjoyable.)

Anna said...

I vote for Love Fights!

Johnny Bacardi said...

I vote for Love Fights.

It's the only one of the choices I've read...but I love Andi Watson's work, especially his art, so chances are I'd vote for it anyway.

Of course, I've only read the first trade...but I certainly intend to get the second one when it comes out.