Friday, September 10, 2004

Fall TV Preview: Friday

New Show of Note: Medical Investigation (NBC, 10pm Eastern). I usually enjoy thse kinds of public health crisis stories, but I really don't see how they'll manage to stretch the premise out into a series. It actually premiered last night, but I TiVoed it and watched the season premiere of Monday Night Football instead (yes, on Thursday...) But certainly it will be ten times better than the ill-conceived Rob Lowe vehicle, dr. vegas (CBS, 10pm).

Comics Connection: Isn't it strange how no one is doing a Star Trek comic these days? I guess that points to the low point in the popularity of both Star Trek and comic books. But hell, crap like Thundercats and Transformers are licensed out. Anyway, outside of Trek novels, your only choice for new Star Trek is in Star Trek: Enterprise (UPN, 8pm). I thought that the third season was much better than the first two, and even got downright suspenseful at the end, though there is still room for improvement. Word has it that Enterprise will focus on short story arcs of two or three episodes this season, and they'll be working on tying it more closely to greater trek mythology (which will drive my friend Bill nuts!) Avatar is doing Stargate SG-1 comics, and both Stargate SG-1 (SciFi, 9pm) and Stargate Atlantis (SciFi, 10pm) started their seasons last month and continue with new episodes in September and November. I gave up on Stargate SG-1 way back in season 1, but so far I've enjoyed Stargate Atlantis--it's the Deep Space Nine of Stargate.

Also: Joan of Arcadia (CBS, 8pm), last season's best new show, returns. If you're looking for a spiritually tinged show that doesn't hurt your teeth, this is the show for you. It should be obvious: good actors & good writing = good television.

1 comment:

Jon Silpayamanant said...

I really enjoy Joan of Arcadia. It's a very straightforward show that doesn't try to be pretentiously "intelligent" and the portrayal of God is almost a perfect neo-mythic representation clothed in a more modern day sensibility--ie, rather than having God "appear" in burning bushes and inanimate objects he "appears" in people--in a manner that is comprehensible to modern audiences. A nice touch, focusing on the for the writers to focus on his portrayal in just one of the myriad of ways that he could be portrayed without having to alienate an audience. I guess that is also keeping more with the Christian representation of God "embodied" as man as well...anyway...

I really enjoyed SG1 when it first came out way back when--but I had to stop watching it once my prof came back from his summer vacation--hence, no more Cable for me.

I should have tried watching Medical Investigations, but I'm ultimately not really a TV person in the end...