Tuesday, September 21, 2004

My New Big Bone

We had a dog when I was growing up. Sandy was her name, and she was your garden-variety beagle-terrier mutt. That dog loved to gnaw on things; we couldn't get her normal doggie chew toys, as she would destroy them within five minutes, so she got either rawhide or nylon bones to chew on. A rawhide bone would last her the good part of a day, and even the near-indestructable nylon bone would be gnawed down to a dangerous point within a month or two. Needless to say, when we'd give her a new bone to chew on, she'd jump up and down and wag her tail excitedly, until she snatched the bone away and carried it off to begin chewing.

Which is all prelude to say that the UPS truck came by and dropped off my Bone One Volume Edition on my porch today. At over 1300 pages it is trully massive (though as expected the paper is mighty thin, though at least it's not super-cheap newsprint). I suspect that even Sandy would have a hard time chewing on this massive tome.

I've already read Bone in its original comic form, so I won't be rushing to read it thorugh again anytime soon (I have too many other things I haven't yet read). But like the huge Barnes & Noble Ultimate Spider-Man and the big thick Palomar hardcover, it was just one of those things I had to have. Plus, it'll be a lot easier to pick up and page through when I'm curious about something than trying to dig up all the individual issues.

No comments: