Thursday, December 02, 2004

"The Story of Her Life"

Our campus's student newspaper, The Michigan Daily, has a two-page spread in today's Weekend section profiling cartoonist/professor Phoebe Gloeckner:

“But there is that little-girl voice in you thinking, ‘You wicked child!’ I drew things like that ever since I was very small, for my classmates, and I think I did get in trouble,” says Gloeckner. As a young artist, her work went virtually unseen by family and friends; when her work first got published, she assumed that no one read the underground comic books in which her art appeared.

You can read the online version here.

(It was Prof. Gloeckner's recent appointment to the faculty here that was the primary motivator for us starting our comic & graphic novel collection here at the library.)

No comments: