Saturday, May 14, 2005

Squiddies

Votes for the 2004 Squiddies were due yesterday, and I managed to get my votes in just under the wire (actually I sent them in this morning, but I got an acknowledgement so I think they still count!)

Anyway, here's how I voted: (I didn't necessarily vote in all categories):

#C0 Writer.........: Grant Morrison
#C1 Penciller......: Frank Quitely
#C2 Cartoonist.....: Jeff Smith
#C3 Inker..........: Keith Champagne
#C4 Painter........: David Mack
#C5 Letterer.......: Dave Sim
#C6 Colorist.......: Tom Smith
#C7 Creative Team..: Morrison, Quitely, Klein, Grant (We3)
#C8 Cover Artist...: James Jean
#C9 Editor.........: Karen Berger
#CA Pol. Cartoonist: Mike Thompson

#B0 Short Story....: "In This Issue: The World Ends!" (Promethea #31)
#B1 Comics Novella.: Making Rain
#B2 Graphic Novel..: Tiempos Finales (End Times)
#B3 Multi-Part.....: "Soft Targets" (Gotham Central #12-15)
#B4 Ongoing Series.: Gotham Central
#B5 Manga Series...: Planetes
#B6 New Series.....: Astonishing X-Men
#B7 Limited Series.: We3
#B8 Reprint Book...: Human Target: Living in America
#B9 Anthology......: McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #13
#BA Comic Strip....: Mutts
#BB Web Comic......: Unshelved

#M0 Company/Imprint: DC
#M1 Character......: Oracle
#M2 Character Team.: Birds of Prey
#M3 Adaptation.....: Justice League Unlimited
#M4 Merchandise....: No Award
#M5 Publication....: Comics Journal
#M7 General Website: Sequential Tart
#M8 Comics Blog....: Thought Balloons
#M9 Journalist.....: Tom Spurgeon
#MA Reviewer.......: Paul O'Brien


As you can see, there was a lot of love for We3. Jeff Smith because it's probably his last year for a while; ditto for Dave Sim, whose skill as a letterer is such that you can hear exactly the voice in your head that he wants when putting the words on the page. Karen Berger because I'm enjoying a lot of Vertigo's output again, and she edited We3. DC as favorite company, because they have pretty much the most diverse output of any publisher, although I could have easily gone with Oni (and, as I'm typing this, am starting to wish that I did vote for Oni...)

No comments: